<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 18, 2005

End depression, shred newspapers 

The "Today" show's Matt Lauer went to interview American soldiers at Camp Liberty in Baghdad, and was told by the soldiers that the morale was high. Disbelieving, he chose to pursue this:
LAUER: Don't get me wrong, I think you're probably telling the truth, but there might be a lot of people at home wondering how that might be possible with the conditions you're facing and with the insurgent attacks you're facing... What would you say to people who doubt that morale could be that high?

CAPTAIN SHERMAN POWELL: Well sir, I'd tell you, if I got my news from the newspapers I'd be pretty depressed as well.
If I had a dollar for every time that a serviceman or a family member of a serviceman told me the same thing recently, I wouldn't be retiring from blogging. OK, a slight exaggeration. But the media seems to live in their own universe, and soldiers in their own, so it's a case for celebration, not to mention some amusement, when the two meet like in the above instance.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?