<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 17, 2004

S11 Commission: Saddam not the father of bin Laden's child 

"Sure there would have been contacts. The Nazis would have wanted to know what Stalin was up to. But I think it's quite clear that they were in opposition, that the fascist movement was certainly no friend of a secular movement in the Soviet Union and I don't think we ought to spend a heck of a lot of time on it."
Richard Ben-Veniste's grandfather, on the eve of the Nazi-Soviet Pact in August 1939.

Just joking. This is what Richard Ben-Veniste said today about the conclusions reached by the S11 Commission:

"Sure there would have been contacts. The Iraqis would have wanted to know what bin Laden was up to. But I think it's quite clear that they were in opposition, that the Jihadist movement was certainly no friend of a secular movement in Iraq and I don't think we ought to spend a heck of a lot of time on it."
I'm glad that Commissioner Ben-Veniste is able to grasp basic lessons, not just of history but of life generally, such as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." Ben-Veniste, the former Watergate prosecutor, should surely have realised by now that the world is an amazing place.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?