<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 31, 2004

Another Hollywoodian comes out of the closet... 

... sort of. This from Tom Selleck, a "National Review" subscriber from the age of 17, talking about his new role as General Eisenhower in a new movie "Ike: Countdown to D-Day":

"[S]ome liberals who have seen the movie say it validates the need for broad coalitions in war fighting. One of the things I wonder about, though, is whether the D-Day invasion could happen today in a 24-hour news cycle. The media would be asking all time about the exit strategy. Remember, 1944 was an election year. There would probably be a December 7 commission running around. Reporters would be saying that Patton doesn't have an army up north and you've been lying to us for two years, and that you can't put our boys in those firetrap Sherman tanks. We're living in a different world now...

"I'm a registered independent with a lot of libertarian leanings. I think we should have stoplights, fire departments, and strategic missile defense. I'm keeping quiet about a lot of that right now but I'm becoming so concerned that I might have to speak up. I don't know if that will help me get more work in Hollywood. So be it.

"I'm proud to say I was in the Army National Guard, infantry, for six years, from 1967-73. I'm sick of hearing people trivialize that service. It was a tremendous honor to put on the uniform."
That seems to be the difference between entertainment liberals and entertainment conservatives: the latter are "keeping quiet about a lot of that." Still, it's good to know that, just like yours truly, Selleck thinks that the context and perspective are important when looking at the world.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?